All this rain has us thinking about flooding. Some of us are thinking about arks, but most of us, just regular flooding----the sort we've endured in recent years, from hurricanes and tropical storms and weather fronts that, like lingering party guests, won't politely move along to bother someone else.And, being who we are, we think about flood insurance too. Well, somebody has to, and most people don't. Until it's too late. For decades there was one answer: Uncle Sam's National Flood Insurance Program.Now, finally, there are choices in the private market; meaning, for some property owners, a chance to buy flood insurance, without feeling they're getting soaked. Request a Quote Do You Need Flood Insurance?FLOOD INSURANCEDid you know that only 12 percent of U.S. homeowners have flood insurance, according to a recent poll conducted by the Insurance Information Institute? The other 88 percent of the U.S homeowners don’t believe a flood will hit their home or think that their homeowners insurance offers protection against floods. At Carolina Insurance Group, we care about our customers and want to educate you on all your options regarding flood insurance.Homeowners Insurance Typically Does Not Cover Damage from Floods First thing first, we want you to be aware that flood damage isn’t typically covered by homeowners insurance. You may be able to buy a separate flood policy through the federal government’s National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). At Carolina Insurance Group, we can help you purchase an NFIP flood policy, if needed.Wait, So What Does Flood Insurance Cover? We understand that your home and the belongings inside your home are important to you and your family. Did you know the most the most common flood insurance is offered through the federally regulated program known as the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). It has two policies and you can buy one or both:One that covers your actual home (property) up to $250,000.One that covers your personal property up to $100,000 such as clothing, furniture, electronics, etc. What Doesn’t Flood Insurance Cover? At Carolina Insurance Group, we believe it’s important to educate our customers on what wouldn’t be covered with flood insurance. Here are some types of property and expenses that fall outside the scope of basic flood insurance policy.Moisture or mold/mildew damage that could have been prevented by the homeowner.Currency, precious metals and paper valuables like stock certificates.Outdoor property such as decks, fences, patios, landscaping, pools, wells and septic systems.In addition, you’ll likely find that flood insurance provides limited, if any, coverage for below-ground rooms like crawl spaces and basements. You’re more at risk because NFIP limits coverage for these spaces where the floor is below ground level. Items that are unlikely covered include:BookcasesWindow treatmentsCarpeting, tile and other floor coveringsPanelingWalls and ceilings (not made of drywall)Most personal property such as clothing, electronical equipment, kitchen supplies, and furniture.Don’t wait for an impending storm to consider flood insurance. The team at Carolina Insurance group is here for you and if you’re considering flood insurance, we know you’re going to have questions. Contact us today to learn more about your options about flood insurance.